Wednesday 19 October 2011

SITE ANALYSIS:

As I haven't been to Canberra before, I am just trying to firstly familiarise myself with the site for the proposal around Parliament House. My exact location for the light rail (red dash), changes to the road (grey line and black arrow) the station (maroon) and the exhibition space (purple) is shown below in the diagrams, as well as some google snap shots to gain a better understanding of the area. I chose this position as it doens't interfere with any existing views between the Parliament House and other buildings in the area, it is flat which is essential for the pavilion, and it is also prime location to create an integrated network with Tom's high speed rail proposal. This is just a quick analysis done using google earth to work out my arrangement of spaces and help me work out roughly how much space I have to work with for the site. I will continue to develop this further using contours and exact measurments etc. to design the spaces specifically for the Parliament site. I also looked into images of the Adelaide Light Rail and found that all of their stations are simply a landing with a few benches in between in directional lane that makes up a shared zone between all forms of traffic. I think that I will provide this platform in the middle to get on and off the train, as well as a actual station with toilets, a kiosk and ticket office/information centre as the Parliament station will be a main stop and mainly catering for tourists.









No comments:

Post a Comment